Wednesday 3 December 2008

Reiniger's Prince Achmed 1926

Like most people, I thought the first feature-length animated film was Walt Disney's "Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs", but this isn't true, the first feature-length animated film was actually Lottie Reiniger's "Adventures of Prince Achmed".

It was really odd coming across this on the internet as I remember watching this film as a child. It really is perfect for my project, silhouettes, and they are so delicate and beautiful. The paper cutouts were jointed using wires and delicately arranged on top of a lightbox, where it was photographed frame by frame.



Robert Ryan

Seeing the images from "Adventures of Prince Achmed" heavily reminded me of Robert Ryan's work which is very similar. Ryan's work is also very suitable for my project, looking at silhouettes and cut-outs really help me think about the structure and composition of my photos.

No comments: