Monday 5 October 2009

Photo Of the Week

WEEGEE - 'The Critic' 1943

"All over the world people ask me what is the secret of your formula? I just laugh; I have no formula, I'm just myself."



'The Critic', perhaps his most famous photograph, shows two elegant society ladies arriving at New York's Metropolitan Opera House. While other photographers crowded the foyer to take the standard glamorous portraits, Weegee waited in the street: "I like to get different shots and don't like to make the same shots the other dopes do....I went into the street....A nice Rolls Royce pulled up....I waited till the occupants got out an snapped the picture. I couldn't see what I was snapping but could almost smell the smugness...." Their smugness and almost caricatural opulence of their jewels contrast with the pinched expression and poor clothes of the woman who watches them.

No comments: