Monday 30 November 2009

Brief 6 : 'Top Hits'

Ideas for covers...
Below are scans from my sketchbook for Brief 6, they show some sketches I have done as ideas for the record covers and designs for the leaflet that would come inside.

Firstly there's the front cover I have previously designed using the pin-hole images I took earlier in the project. You can see I have added an 'xx' to the front in a very simple way. The 'xx' would be cut-out of the page. I didn't want the front of the record to look crowded or busy so I kept it very muted.
Next to the front cover is an idea for the back of the leaflet that goes inside the record case. It would be the side of the leaflet that is facing up once you open the CD case. It might be quite hard to work out, but I have put the word 'Islands' (one of their song names' in big letters across the front, slightly hidden by an invisible 'X'. I have doubts about this design as it's quite difficult to read.



Next are my designs for the inside spread of the leaflet. On the first page would be a description of the band; who they are, what music the play, their influences etc. I wanted to carry the 'X' theme throughout the whole record, so I made the lettering of the description to form a big 'X' on the page. On the opposite side are the lyrics to the song, keeping it very simple it would be written in black on a white background and a simple font would be used. I really like these two designs and will seriously cnosider using them in my final product.




Below are some more ideas for the inside of the leaflet. As you can see, this is more focused on 'cutting-out' the 'xx' to make the visual message more obvious. I don't particularly like this design much.




I think this logo (below) works really well, it is made up to two X's, but at first glance looks like one big X. It's a very simple design in monochrome and looks, delicate, yet harsh.


No comments: