Friday 14 November 2008

London Fashion Week

Giles Deacon : Game on!!

Remember Pacman and Space Invaders? Well both made a special appearance at Giles Deacons spring/summer ready-to-wear collection at London Fashion Week. Over-sized plastic helmets and shiny graphics referencing the eighties were the features of the slightly exaggerated yet surprisingly wearable clothes shown at the London event, not to mention the high-shine black patent pencil skirts and fetish style ankle-strap shoes by Christian Louboutin. Despite all of this, Deacon also managed to throw in early nineties rave culture, with shades of Michiko Koshino, the Japanese designer loved by London's club kids, in camouflage-print dresses that varied in size, from body tight to wide.



Christopher Kane : Planet of the Apes!

In an anti-fashion style, Christopher Kane presented a trend we haven't seen before, prehistoric nature. There were dresses, tailored jackets, skirts and slim trousers lined with panels of reptilian 3-D semi-circles and Flintstones inspired asymmetric dresses. But if the highly conceptual, geometric sculpturing isn't the look you would go for, there were definitely some more wearable pieces shown, such as the gorilla photo t-shirts and the leopard print sweaters.


Xterity London : I'm Press!

Although Xterity isn't as well established as perhaps, Luella Bartley or Vivienne Westwood (which I would much preferred to have blagged my way in to) it was quite an experience watching the show. As the lights came up and the models came out, I got chills running through my spine. It was the first time I had witnessed a (proper) fashion show first-hand, and what a thrill! It started off with a white palette, first introducing gold and silver tones, and then moving into the pink, purple and yellow pastels, swiftly onto the richer shades, magenta, Indigo, and finishing on a white wedding dress covered in spiraled fabric. Although I didn't think much to the clothes, I was thoroughly disappointed when it was over and had to leave the ten minutes of bliss I had just encountered! It was then I knew I was in the right business!

No comments: