Sunday 16 November 2008

Stylathon


During the 'tribe' project we had a one-day 'stylathon'. This involved each student donating and bringing 5 items of clothing to create a collective group wardrobe. This wardrobe was used for our day of styling, where we created and documented outfits/looks/ideas in response to our chosen theme.


In my group was Emilie, Rachael, Anna, Lauren and myself, we started off by not particularly looking at a certain tribe, but playing with the silhouette.

We made the shoulders more prominent and used a corset to make a type of bonnet around the head. Keeping the body simple (wearing a leotard) showed off the head and shoulders more.


Next, we all focused our styling skills on creating a look for my ballet theme. Using netting, pearls, ribbon, flowers and ballet slippers, I think we achieved a really beautiful, ballet-esque outfit.
The lighting turned out perfectly, we were aiming for a soft glowing light, rather than a harsh edgy one, and I think it worked really well.


I was really happy with the shoot, it gave me a lot of things to think about for my final photo shoot, the lighting, the composition, the styling, the model, the setting etc.

After my ballet inspired photos, Emilie had a turn to style her tribe, Grannies. She wanted to use me as the model, so I was styled up to look like a grandma, with layer after layer of scarves, floral dress, white tights, and a bobble hat!

Overall, I really enjoyed the stylathon, it really got me thinking about my project, and I had a great time with my group.

No comments: